Posted on November 16th, 2008 by Bratwurst Recipes
- 1 pound of Bratwurst Sausage
- 1 1/4 cups fresh lemon juice
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium red onion, cut into julienne
- 6 thin slices jalapeno or Fresno chile
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Pinch of sugar
- 1/2 cup finely diced seeded cucumber
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced scallion including some of the green part
- 1 tablespoon well-drained capers
- 1 tablespoon Lesvos or other fresh basil chiffonade (To make a chiffonade, or thin strips of a vegetable or herb, simply stack a small number of leaves, roll them up like a cigar, and then cut the roll crosswise into thin pieces Pull the roll apart and you will have a pile of finely shredded leaves that will make an attractive garnish.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Place a medium stainless-steel bowl and 6 shallow serving bowls in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or until well chilled.
- Using a very sharp knife, cut the Bratwurst sausages into very thin slices. Place the slices in the chilled stainless steel bowl. Add the lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Then add the onion and chile and toss gently to combine. Let stand for about 2 minutes, or just until the edges of the fish slices begin to turn opaque.
- Add the orange juice and a pinch of sugar. Place an equal portion of the Bratwurst in each of the serving bowls. Sprinkle each portion with an equal amount of cucumber, scallion, capers and basil. Taste and, if neccesary, season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle a small amount of olive oil over the top and serve immediately.