Ingredients Needed to make Bratwurst Sausage German Style
- Six slices of bacon
- One small onion
- One clove of garlic
- 32 Ounces of sauerkraut which is approximately one can of sauerkraut
- Two medium sized potatoes
- One cup of water
- Half a cup of apple or grape juice
- One Tablespoon of brown sugar
- One cube of chicken bouillon
- One bay leaf
- One teaspoon of caraway seed
- One pound of Bratwurst Sausage
- One large apple that has been sliced
How to make the Bratwurst Sausage
- Grab a skillet, preferable a deep skillet. Place the six pieces of bacon inside the deep skillet, and begin to cook the bacon. The key is to drain most of the fat, and then you want to crumble the bacon into pieces. Kinda of like bacon-bit pieces.
- Slice the onions, and mince the garlic, using the same deep skillet, put the onions and garlic into the deep skillet with the remaining bacon fat. You want to have the heat in a medium-low heat position, until the onions are browned.
- Once this is done, add the bacon back to the mix, then you want to add the remaining ingredients, two potatoes that have been sliced , half a cup of your choice of juice, brown sugar, bay leaf, caraway seed, and sauerkraut.
- Now add the water, and the key is to use enough water to barely cover the potatoes, then let the mixture come to a boil.
- Here is the fun part, add the Bratwurst sausage in the skillet.
- Be sure to cover the skillet, and then let the mixture sit there for approximately twenty to thirty minutes.
- Take the apple slices, and add to the mixture, allow the mixture five to 10 more minutes of simmering.
This recipe will serve a total of four to six people.
I hope you have enjoyed the bratwurst recipes I have written so far, you can look forward to even more delicious homemade bratwurst recipes in my future posts!Posted in Recipe