Posted on December 25th, 2008 by Bratwurst Recipes
Serve this recipe with a warm grilled pita bread or combine it with pasta.
- 1/2 cup blended olive oil
- 2 cups finely diced onions.
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano
- Pinch of hot red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups canned tomato sauce
- 6 pounds of Bratwurst Sausage, cut crosswise
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Heat the blended oil in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Add the onion along with a pinch of salt. Cover and cook, uncovering and stirring from time to time, for about 12 minutes, or until the onion is very soft and trasnlucent. Stir in the garlic and cook, uncovered for another 3 minutes. Stir in the oregano and pepper flakes. Add the tomato sauce and increase the heat. Bring to a simmer and add the Bratuwrst, stirring well. Season with salt and pepper to taste, cover, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, uncover and stir. Cover and cook at a bare simmer, stiring occasionaly for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until the Bratwurst is very tender and the mixture resembles a thick stew. If it becomes too dry, add about 1/4 cup water at a time to keep it moist.
- Remove from the heat, fold in the parsley, and drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil. Serve warm.